May 3, 2010

EloProgo Art House

On Monday, March 15, 2010 at 11 a.m., I left for Magelang. From Km 13 Kaliurang Street, Yogyakarta, I took the alternative road northward to EloProgo Art House at Bejen, Wanurejo, Borobudur, Magelang. In this place, the heart of the archipelago, the middle of eastern and western Indonesia, I wrote a note about the fine art and culture of this art and cultural house.

Arriving at EloProgo Art House, I entered a gate with a dragon and a buffalo statues. A few meters forward, I could hear the sound of water. I parked my motorcycle and rushed to enjoy EloProgo vast river flow. I grinned, almost as wide as the coffee cup I use to drink coffee back home, a moment before i ran to that scented land.

At EloProgo Art House, I met the owner whom I used to chat on Facebook. We introduced each other, shared ideas and discussed about Malay art, culture and values. My conclusion was that the owner is a brilliant painter with egalitarian character and broad knowledge. He is Sony Santosa, the painter.

Sony Santosa was born in Curup, Rejang Lebong, Bengkulu. His mother belongs to Basemah ethnic group in South Sumatra, while his father belongs to Rejang ethnic group in Bengkulu. Sony spent his youth on the streets of Jakarta. Then, in 1989, he decided to go to Ubud, Bali, to develop painting. Two years afterwards, in 1991 – 1992, he established his Painting Gallery in Ubud. In 1993, he founded another gallery called Sony Painters Place.
More ... >>

No comments:

Post a Comment